Hertfordshire Students' Union Advice & Support team are delighted in offering you a service of the highest standard.
For whatever student life throws at you, we're here to help. Do not hesitate to get in touch with us to get advice now.
Our Commitment to You
- We aim to ensure that all students are fully aware of their rights and responsibilities, so they can make the most of their time at University.
- We will provide accurate, up-to-date and relevant information to enable students to make informed decisions on issues affecting them.
- We will provide professional advice, support and signposting to assist students in resolving their problems.
- We will give free, impartial and non-judgmental advice and will respect confidentiality at all times within the service*.
- We will monitor issues on which we can take positive initiatives to benefit students.
- We will ensure that our service is of the highest standard.
- We are committed to actively promoting equal opportunities.
* All details will remain secure and will not be passed to any other organization, subject to the exceptions listed in the 'principles' section of this page.
Advice & Support Centre Services
The Advice & Support Centre is open from 10:00-16:00, Monday to Friday, in the Hutton Hub Students’ Union Office on College Lane Campus. The Centre offers an open door policy, with students able to drop-by for an appointment at any point during the Centre’s opening hours; alternatively students can pre-book appointments.
The Advice & Support Centre can also open late to see students on Thursday evenings, during term-time, but the student must have pre-booked an appointment with at least 24 hours prior notice. The ability to book a Thursday night appointment is subject to Advisor availability.
Clients can also access the Advice & Support Centre by telephone (01707 285022) or e-mail (email@example.com); our Advisers are happy to provide full advice services via these mediums.
Specialist services are also available from the Advice & Support Centre, such as a weekly Legal Clinic and sexual health services. For full information about the services available click here.
Principles of Advice Work
Advice services are offered to all University of Hertfordshire students free of charge.
The Advice & Support team respect the privacy of personal information and store all details and information securely. All details will remain secure and will not be passed to any other company or organization, subject to the following exceptions:
- Where you have given your consent for information to be disclosed
- Where your Adviser believes that the safety of you or another person is at risk
- Where we are required by law to break confidentiality
The Advice & Support team complies with the Data Protection Act and takes all reasonable care to prevent unauthorised access to personal data.
The Advice & Support team needs to record all enquiries from students. This is to enable us to monitor use of the service and to identify any common issues. To protect anonymity, all statistical records shall be produced so that individuals cannot be recognised.
If you want to know exactly what personal information the Advice & Support team holds for your case, you can contact us in writing via the following address; Advice and Support Centre Manager, Hertfordshire Students’ Union, College Lane, Hatfield, AL10 9AB.
The Advice & Support Centre is part of Hertfordshire Students’ Union, which is independent to the University.
The advice and information that is provided is unbiased and not directed towards any viewpoint. The personal views of the Adviser are not reflected in the advice that is given.
The Advice & Support Centre is committed to ensuring that all clientsstudents are treated fairly, and will not discriminate on grounds of ethnic group or nationality, sex, age, disability, marital status, family commitments, sexuality, political or religious beliefs. The service is accessible to all students and all student queries will be treated in an equal regard.
To read our full Code of Practice, click here.