My name is Rebekah Rogers! I am in my third year of studying Biological sciences (BSc). Over my time here at the University I have been involved in many different projects and activities within the students’ union and the wider community. As well as volunteering, I currently have 2 employed positions within the students’ union:
- Forum promotions team member
- (Familiar face?)
- Student opportuities team member
Both positions have given me an insight into the running of events that the students’ union provides.
- Marrow (2014 - 2016) Started as a volunteer in 2014. In 2015, elected to be on the committee as social media officer and social secretary. These roles require me to organise and post on our social media sites, as well as to organise events where committee and volunteers can all socialise together.
- Raise and Give (RAG) (2015 - 2016), as a committee member, I help to organise and run fundraisers for RAG charities.
- Pongathon (2014 -2015), volunteered to run and organise each weekly session (Now known as Pingathon)
- Student volunteer week (SVW) (2015), as a committee member, I helped to create the schedule of activities. Very successful week with over 400 students volunteering their time!
- Freshers' angel (2014) Helping with both international week and freshers week!
- Sighted guide for the blind with the charity Guide dogs.
- (Yeah I know the penguin hat looks stupid)
- Athletic union - Dance club in my first year, and Judo this year.
- Society - Doctor Who society
- Increase the awareness and events of RAG, including bringing back the famous Zombie run!
- More opportunities for students to showcase or use their talents, as I believe University should be the home of opportunity.
- Organise more social events for student groups such as societies, volunteers, and athletic union.
- Create events where the communities on campus can interact more, such as internationals and mature students.
The students' union should be there to help students to gain experience or learn something new. I want to give everyone that chance by participating in amazing opportunities as I have done. I wish for people to know that the experience you gain at University can be useful, whether that be in a society, sports club or volunteering! I have many ideas for improvements to student activities and I hope that I can implement them. I know what needs to be done and I can do it!
You want to ask any questions? Email me at email@example.com