Hello, my name is Gloria Opara, a Biomedical Science student with a passion for people. Having been in UH for over 3 years, I have seen and experienced the changes that have been made to improve student life. I am here not only to further this but to instil a sense of unity and equality between all students in various walks of life. I plan on doing this by:
- Engaging students with local residents
- By encouraging societies to hold events in local places, for example the local café or library, to include the community and develop a sense of acceptance for students.
- Creating partnerships with local businesses
- To make services more affordable for students, encouraging more business to offer student discounts and expand their range of services.
- I also plan on creating partnerships with transport companies in the local community to make it easier and cheaper for commuting students to get to and from the university.
- Enhancing international student experience
- Introducing a more inclusive welcome week and hosting more activities for international students, giving them a chance to mingle with more local students.
- Developing a financial aid scheme for international students via introduction of a hardship fund and more scholarships and grants.
- Making the process of off-campus accommodation easier for students
- By stopping unreasonable demands from landlords and estate agents for both home and international students.
- Expanding the De Havilland campus
- I plan to introduce a wellbeing and medical centre on the dehav campus, for easily accessible healthcare and advice, suited to tackle all kinds of problems from physical, emotional and mental health.
I look forward to making your years here as rewarding and easy as possible, so vote for me, Gloria Opara for VP community!