When sharing accommodation with your fellow students we hope you are less likely to experience a fire, which is why it might be necessary to take extra precautions to ensure this doesn’t happen.
But don’t worry; we’ve got you covered with a guide of top 6 fire safety tips!
1. Ensure your fire alarm is working before moving in and regularly check it!
A fire alarm provides a warning to the individuals in the property of a possible fire and has the potential to save lives. Regularly checking fire alarms ensures safety is increased to you and your housemates, which is a pretty good thing.
- Never cook whilst under the influence of alcohol (We know Contrast night is fab but know your limit), just don’t risk it. If you come home drunk and want a bite to eat, have a readymade meal that doesn’t require cooking or simply grab a takeaway…… Mc’Nuggets are just around the corner or the burger van outside Forum is always a winner
- Always switch off electrical appliances when not in use, such as hair straighteners and phone chargers!
- Always shut your fire door, they offer up to average 30 minutes burn time; meaning the fire will be self-contained in that room. We are not trying to scare you, we just want you to fire savvy. If a fire does begin, it is vital to know where the fire exit is located and leave immediately. Evacuate the property through the fire exit and wait for the emergency services to arrive.
- Never burn candles in your house! You wouldn’t leave a lit party so don’t leave a lit candle!
- Know your fire safety meeting point; it is critical that if the fire alarm sounds you leave the apartment immediately. Top tip – Have your dressing gown and fluffy slippers by the side of your bed ready to go!