We understand that it can sometimes be difficult to strike up new friendships and settle in, and sometimes it can help to speak to someone who has done it all before… that is why we have set up the SU Buddy Scheme.
What is the SU Buddy Scheme?
Coming to University can be quite daunting; whether it is the first time that you have lived away from home, or whether you have moved to an entirely new country! We understand that it can sometimes be difficult to strike up new friendships and settle in, and sometimes it can help to speak to someone who has done it all before… that is why we have set up the SU Buddy Scheme.
The Buddy Scheme is coordinated by Hertfordshire Students’ Union Advice and Support Centre and facilitates informal peer-to-peer support; matching up new students with continuing students (Buddy Volunteers) who can share their hints and tips for settling in to life at University.
Buddies are matched according to their preferences, such as interests or School; and the Buddies can agree between themselves how often they would like to meet / chat, how and where.
What is expected of SU Buddy Volunteers?
· Welcome their Buddy to the University of Hertfordshire.
· Offer support and maintain regular contact.
· Help their Buddy to find activities that they may be interested in, such as sports or SU societies – even better, try the activities with them!
· Signpost to any services that their Buddy may require.
How do I sign up for a Buddy?
- You can complete the online application form, stating your preferences for being matched with a Buddy Volunteer (we will try our best to fulfil preferences, but this is not guaranteed).
- Your application will be reviewed by the Advice and Support team, to ensure that the scheme is the right for you. If there are any queries about your application, you will be contacted via e-mail.
- You will receive a confirmation e-mail following the review of your application form, and soon after you will be matched with an SU Buddy Volunteer.
- Your assigned Buddy Volunteer will be the one to make first contact, and the first meeting can be arranged at the soonest convenience. We are hoping to match new students with their SU Buddies by the beginning of October.
What if it’s not a perfect match or I want to leave the scheme?
If there has been an error in the matching process, or if it’s just not working out, please e-mail email@example.com and we can either re-match you or wish you well as you move on to other things.
I still have questions about the Buddy Scheme, who do I contact?
The Buddy Scheme is coordinated by the Hertfordshire Students’ Union Advice and Support team; the best way to get in touch with the team is via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org). Advisers are available 10:00-16:00, Monday to Friday, and are rather speedy at responding to e-mails - so you'll never have to wait long for an answer to your question.