What is the SU Buddy Scheme?
Coming to University can be quite daunting; whether it is the first time that you have lived away from home, or whether you have moved to an entirely new country! We understand that it can sometimes be difficult to strike up new friendships and settle in, and sometimes it can help to speak to someone who has done it all before… that is why we have set up the Buddy Scheme.
The Buddy Scheme is coordinated by Hertfordshire Students’ Union Advice and Support Centre and facilitates informal peer-to-peer support; matching up new students with continuing students (Buddy Volunteers) who can share their hints and tips for settling in to life at University.
Buddies are matched according to their preferences, such as interests or School; and the Buddies can agree between themselves how often they would like to meet and where. Buddies are also encouraged to get involved with the on-campus opportunities, such as Active Students activities and Students’ Union events.
What is expected of SU Buddy Volunteers?
· Welcome their Buddy to the University of Hertfordshire.
· Offer support and maintain regular contact.
· Help their Buddy to find activities that they may be interested in, such as sports or Students’ Union societies – even better, try the activities with them!
· Signpost to any services that their Buddy may require.
How do I sign up for a Buddy?
- You can complete the online application form, stating your preferences for being matched with a Buddy Volunteer (we will try our best to fulfil preferences, but this is not guaranteed).
- Your application will be reviewed by the Advice and Support team, to ensure that the scheme is the right for you. If there are any queries about your application, you will be contacted via e-mail.
- You will receive a confirmation e-mail following the review of your application form, and soon after you will be matched with an SU Buddy Volunteer.
- Your assigned Buddy Volunteer will be the one to make first contact, and the first meeting can be arranged at the soonest convenience.
What if it’s not a perfect match or I want to leave the scheme?
If there has been an error in the matching process, or if it’s just not working out, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and we can either re-match you or wish you well as you move on to other things.
I still have questions about the Buddy Scheme, who do I contact?
The Buddy Scheme is coordinated by the Hertfordshire Students’ Union Advice and Support team, you can contact us by phone (01707 285022), e-mail (email@example.com) or by dropping in to the Students’ Union Advice and Support Centre on College Lane campus (we are open on weekdays from 10:00-16:00).