President Rida's Projects
More gaming consoles and Teqball tables:
- The first esports room made in accommodations (Newton Court).
- Received funding (£8000) from Campus Community Life-CCL fund to get teqball tables and gaming consoles for societies to use.
- Multi-faith/relaxation space in CL LRC during exams session. The first session is almost over. LCS team and I will get together after the exams to reflect on the use of the space to make it better for the next exam session. If it goes well, LCS to make it a permanent thing for exam sessions.
Projects in Progress
BAME Attainment Gap
- Set up a meeting with each Dean to talk about the BAME attainment gap at their school and the support they have for their students. Got school-level plans for reducing the attainment gap.
- Create a student staff mentoring scheme. Due to the limited number of BAME staff at the university, started it off as a focus group. The first events to take place on the 11th and 13th of Feb.
- Liaised with BAME officer and BAME advocated linked with union to talk about running BAME case studies and came up with the questions.
- Written to the VC, asking for more BAME staff at the university and higher enrolment of BAME student in the postgraduate studies (better support for them). Raised this at multiple CEGs and emphasised its importance while shaping the universities strategic plan. Met with Lynn (the chair of BoG) to ensure APP and BAME attainment gap is not only on VC’s agenda but a board target and got APP as a standing item for BOG. Got officers on the Panels for VCE recruitments to ensure everyone was given a fair chance.
- Planned the launch of BAME campaign called ‘Rise Up’ under the umbrella of This Student Can. As a part of the launch, the team plans to create more awareness about what is BAME and what does the attainment gap means. Will have a stall at the refreshers’ to talk to students about it. If it’s well-received, we plan to do regular stalls on both campuses to spread awareness and engage more students.
Women’s only gym times/class at UH
- Got student feedback on the idea during speak week
- Took the student feedback VCSU
- Met with David Connel (head of Herts Squad) about the sessions and agreed certain times during the week to be allotted to women’s only session for gym and pool. Agreed to get student volunteers to run these sessions, however, members of VCE are not comfortable with it.
- Contacted other unions who have successfully introduced these times to understand how it works there.
- Went back to DC and talked about a more sustainable approach to this.
- Spoke to advise and support about promoting Samaritans more on campus. Their contact details are now on the automatic reply for advice and support. Leaflets and marketing materials throughout the university.
- Chased up on the two new-graduate roles to start in the Dean of Students, will be on the panel for selection. Raised the issue with waiting times at CEG.
- Working with HSU staff on a Never Okay campaign.
- Working with voice team on mental health march.
- Chased up on Mental health charter
Merit-based scholarships for home and international students
- Discussed it with international students and VC
- Spoken to the relevant member of VCE
- In the process of planning fundraising events with Alumni networks
Your basket is empty.