Log in Basket


Your basket is empty.


- Need help understanding your contract?

- Know what to look for when checking in and out of a student house?

- Want to know how to look after your house properly and deal with potential issues?

- Need information on how to get your deposit back?

Contact the Advice & Support Team and get your questions answered!



We have also created a Housing Advice Guide, that will give you hints and tips for how to enjoy a trouble-free tenancy. You will find handy information about;

  • Dealing with mould and condensation
  • Safety and security in your home
  • Understanding Tenancy Deposit Protection Schemes
  • How to deal with disputes over the return of your deposit 

The guide also contains moving-in and moving-out checklists - to ensure that the whole process goes smoothly, with nothing important forgotten! We hope you find the guide helpful!


Only got 3 minutes? Check out this 'Tenancy Tips' video from NUS! For more information visit www.readytorent.nus.org.uk/ 

If you are looking for accommodation to rent: Check the list of PAL Accredited Landlords/Properties and make enquires or view the “Classifieds” section on Studynet.

When you view a potential property: Make sure you check everything thoroughly and ensure that the general condition of the house is satisfactory. Worried you’ll forget what to check on a viewing? Use our Viewing Checklist!

Once you have found a property: Make sure that you read through the contract thoroughly before you sign it. Only sign if you are 100% happy that you have chosen the right property and any changes within the property have been agreed, with the Landlord/agent, in writing. Also, make sure that your deposit is put into a Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme. Got things you’re not sure about? Come and talk to us!

Council Tax: If your property is only occupied by full-time students, then you will be exempt from paying council tax. However, if one person is not a student - or is a part-time student - then the property will have to pay a certain percentage of the normal council tax amount for that property. Every full-time student needs to apply for Council Tax exemption via the ‘My Actions’ section of your ‘Student Record’ on Studynet.

When you move in: (A) Contact the utility companies that the house is registered with and give them meter readings on the day that you move in, also ensure that you have an in-date gas safety certificate. (B) Complete the inventory for the house and take photos of the state of the house when you move in (noting all forms of wear and tear that weren’t down to you). Send the inventory to either the lettings agent or Landlord as soon as you can. (C) Purchase contents insurance to protect your belongings. (D) Update your address details both on Studynet and also with the University’s Medical centre (if you are registered there). Follow our Check-in Guide for full details.

When your tenancy has ended: Make sure that you leave the property clean and tidy; if the property is left with a need for cleaning, your deposit refund could be affected. Always make sure that you dispose of all your rubbish properly and do not leave any rubbish at or outside the property. Don’t know where to start with the end of tenancy cleaning? Follow our Check-out Guide