Our Buddy Scheme facilitates informal peer-to-peer support to help new students settle into life at University.
Coming to University can be quite daunting. Whether it's the first time you have lived away from home, or whether you have moved to an entirely new country! We understand that it can sometimes be difficult to strike up new friendships and settle in. Often it can help to speak to someone who has done it all before, that's why we've set up the Buddy Scheme.
The SU Buddy Scheme is coordinated by the Students’ Union Advice & Support team. We match up new students with continuing students (Buddy Volunteers) who can share their hints and tips for settling in to life at University. Buddies are matched according to their preferences, such as interests or School. Buddies can agree between themselves how often they would like to meet and where. Buddies are also encouraged to get involved with on-campus opportunities like Active Students and Students’ Union events.
Want a Buddy?
We would be chuffed to pair you with one of our lovely Buddy Volunteers. Simply work your way through the following steps to get the ball rolling:
1. Complete the online application form, stating your preferences for being matched with a Buddy Volunteer (we will try our best to fulfil your preferences, but this is not guaranteed)
2. Your application will be reviewed by the Advice & Support team to ensure that you fully understand the nature of the scheme and that it is the right thing for you. If there are any queries about your application you will be contacted via email
3. You will receive a confirmation email following the review of your application form. Following this you will be matched with a Buddy Volunteer
4. Your assigned Buddy Volunteer will be the one to make first contact. You can then arrange to meet up at your own convenience. For first meetings we suggest that you meet on-campus during the day
Want to be a Buddy Volunteer?
Thank you for taking an interest in the Buddy Scheme, which simply couldn't run without our fantastic Buddy Volunteers. Simply work your way through the following steps to get the ball rolling:
1. Complete the online application form; stating your reasons for wanting to become a Buddy Volunteer and also providing details to help us match you with a new student
2. Your application will be reviewed by the Advice and Support team and you will either be invited in to the SU office for an informal chat or a time arranged for a chat on the telephone
3. You will receive an email notification regarding whether your application has been successful and provided with details for Buddy Volunteer training
4. Once you have attended the training, you will be matched with a new student and you are expected to make the first contact.
What can I do with my Buddy?
The Buddy Scheme is very informal. You can go to events with your Buddy, try out a sport activity, grab a coffee or just hang out. It’s completely your choice! We simply suggest that the first meeting is arranged on-campus during the day time
My Buddy has asked me for advice, what do I do?
If your Buddy asks about something and you’re not sure what to say - or if you find yourself in a difficult position - do not hesitate to contact us and we will help as much as we can. There is also a list of University support services at the back of the Buddy Scheme Handbook
My Buddy isn’t speaking to me, what do I do?
If you have contacted your Buddy and not heard anything back, let us know and we'll see what we can do to help
What if it’s not a perfect match?
If there has been an error in the matching process, or if it’s just not working out, please get in touch and we can try to re-match you
What if I no longer want to be part of the Buddy Scheme?
It is completely fine to decide that you no longer want to continue with the Buddy Scheme. All we ask is that you do not ignore your Buddy. Simply email us to let us know that you want to be removed from the scheme. We will re-match your Buddy and may ask you for feedback too
I still have questions about the Buddy Scheme, who do I contact?
The Buddy Scheme is coordinated by Hertfordshire Students’ Union Advice & Support Centre. We're located just inside Hutton Hub, College Lane. You can drop-in and speak to us from 10:00-16:00, Monday to Friday, all year round (except Bank Holidays and University Close Days). Alternatively you can call us on 01707 285022 or email us at email@example.com