Your time at University can be the best time of your life, but it can also be overwhelming and a good time to reach out for support. There is a wealth of support available for UH students and activities you can get involved in.
Before you contact someone in the University or Students' Union, it is useful to know what you can expect from us.
As a student at UH, you can expect...
1. Teaching staff with expertise and experience.
2. Appropriate facilities for learning.
3. A four week marking turn-around.
4. Constructive feedback on assessed coursework.
5. Free support from your Students' Union.
As a student at UH, you are expected to...
1. Commit to all elements of your programme.
2. Make tuition fee payments on time.
3. Produce original work.
4. Be respectful and polite to fellow students.
5. Engage with Student Reps about any course issues.
Hertfordshire Students’ Union Services
Advice and Support Centre
Free, confidential and impartial advice and support is offered on a wide range of issues including academic appeals, academic misconduct investigations, housing issues, budgeting and legal issues. A weekly sexual health clinic is also hosted on Mondays, during term-time, where students can drop-in for full sexual health testing and contraception advice and services.
Where: Hertfordshire Students’ Union, Hutton Hub, College Lane.
When: Monday to Friday, from 10:00-16:00 (excluding University closed days).
Phone: 01707 285022
Hertfordshire Students’ Union Elected Officers
Click to see what support the University can offer you
Active Students – Free sports sessions available to all UH students. Have fun, get active!
Contact: http://www.activestudents.co.uk/ for the full schedule of activities.
Campus Pharmacy – Over the counter services and advice for students and staff.
Visit: Lower floor, Hutton Hub.
Careers & Employment Service - Graduate recruitment and career development team.
Visit: Lower floor, Hutton Hub or visit the Careers Hub on StudyNet.
Centre for Academic Skills Enhancement - Useful study guides and workshops offered.
Visit: The CASE pages on StudyNet.
Chaplaincy – Multi-faith religious and spiritual support.
Visit: The Key Centre (near Telford Court accommodation), College Lane.
Phone: 01707 284456
Equality Office - Information, guidance and support on all aspects of equality.
Phone: 01707 289362
International Student Support Team - Support for overseas students at UH.
Phone: 01707 281299
Office of the Dean of Students
Phone: 01707 284450
Student Centre - A one-stop shop for non-academic enquiries relating to University life.
Visit: Mon – Thurs: 09:00-17:00 Fri: 09:00-16:00.
Phone: 01707 284800
Click to see what other independent support you can access
The Samaritans - Offer a safe place for you to talk any time you like, in your own way – about whatever’s getting to you. You don’t have to be suicidal.
Phone: 116 123 (UK)
The Police - Catching crimminals, keeping people safe and reducing crime.
Phone: 999 for emergencies or 101 for non-emergencies
NHS 111 - If you're worried about an urgent medical concern, you can call 111 to speak to a fully trained adviser.
Links related to student life
- Applying to Student Finance England - click here
- The Student Money Manual - staying on top of your finances (Web) - click here
- Barclays Money Skills Weeks (Web) - click here
- Birkbeck - Financing your university course (Web) - click here
- Brightside student finance articles (Web) - click here
- Brightside Student Calculator (Web) - click here
- Zero-Credit low cost living tips, recipes etc (Web) - click here
- StudentBeans.com deals and offers (Web) - click here
- Student Cash Point links - Web link
- Get Fit For Free (Web) - click here
- Welwyn Hatfield Partnership Accreditation for Landlords (PAL) - click here
- How to rent privately and what to consider - click here
- What is a tenancy protection scheme? - click here
- How to get to court if you can’t get your deposit back - click here
- Shelter Charity Housing Advice Pages - click here
- Citizens Advice Bureau Housing Adviceguide - click here
- NHS Choices: Your health, your choices - click here
- Herts Sunflower Sexual Assault Referral Centre - click here
- Rape Crisis England & Wales - click here
- SurvivorsUK: Support for male victims of rape/sexual abuse - click here
- Mind: For better mental health - click here
- Student Minds: Student Mental Health Charity - click here
- Samaritans: 24hr Confidential Emotional Support - click here
- Time to Change: End Mental Health Discrimmination - click here
- Rethink Mental Illness - click here
- Talk to Frank: Friendly, confidential drugs advice - click here
- Drinkaware: Alcohol Advice - click here